Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Voice of Gentle Silence

I love my job. I was called to do this work. Even though I was called and love what I do, there are some days that discouragement sneaks into my thinking. These past few days have been challenging. I have been asking myself if we are making a difference. Are kids' lives being changed? Are families coming together with a new sense of unity? Most importantly, are people's eyes turning toward God.

In the midst of my discouragement, I was reading 1 Kings 19. Right at this point in 1 Kings, Elijah is feeling so discouraged. He thought that people would certainly turn to God after witnessing the miracles, but they didn't. Here is what happens: The Lord said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper."

The Hebrew translation calls that gentle whisper "a voice of gentle silence." Am I so focused on all that is going on around me, or am I closely listening for that gentle whisper? It is much easier to be distracted by all of the "noise" of life. I am going to listen for the gentle silence.


No comments:

Post a Comment